Monday, December 1, 2008

the start.

Here are three, one from 2004, one from 2005.
They may suck and for that, I apologize.



He went in because of
a simple virus.
"He'll have to stay,
observations and such."
Their voices wane
in and out.
My head is reeling from
all the terms they're
throwing at me.
how long
just tell me
how long
Who knows
(obviously no one)
You'd tell me,right?
If you knew anything,
I mean.
"Go home and get some
rest, we'll know more
in the morning."

Two weeks later and
they're finally telling me
"It's cancer.
Not much longer.
We're sorry."
Their already soft voices
(so much whispering,
so much secrecy)
fade to nothing in my ears
as they talk about
arrangements and wills.

Another three months later
and they're apologizing again
handing me his entire life
slimmed down to a
small package.
This is what hospitals do;
take a person from you
and give you an envelope
in return.

[8.dec.2004]



----------


The thing elegant chain
(spun so finely it looks
like silk)
ends gracefully at her collarbone
with a heart.
"It's a nervous thing,"
she says with a childlike grin,
rubbing her thumb on the heart's
blackened epicenter.

We soon surpassed the petty small talk
that strangers often share.
Abadoned that for questions of
who why when what
and don't forget the where.
I sat and watched her
rapidly moving lips,
so full and lush.
She sat and watched
my coffee growing cold,
the steam slowed and stopped.

When all was said and done
she got up to leave.
Not a goodbye or nothing.
Stuck me with the bill.
She left me her number
but only out of good will.


[15.jan.2005]



------



she doesn't sleep anymore.
Night after night,
she lays sprawled in her bed,
her brain never willing to
completely shut down.
She never sleeps,
yet night after night he is there,
comforting her,
coaxing her to eat and
still the rumbling of her belly,
stop her lullaby.

It's been two years since
he left them all.
It's been weeks since
she's eaten.
The definition is growing
and she counts each space
between every rib.

She lays her head down at night
and each pillow transforms
into the soft touch of
his gentle arms.

And she knows that
he'll be the one to cry
over her lost body.
He'll be the one to
save her from herself.

So each night, each day,
each minute, each hour
she cries for him to come back to her,
if only for awhile
so that she may see him
and he can see her happy.

He'll take her hand and
lead her to the land of dreams
where they can be together
once again.


[17.jan.2005]

No comments: